Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Shhhh...Don't Tell Her!



The little girl above, my baby (if God's see fit), is going to be 9 on Monday. 9! How on earth did all of those years pass?!  Anyway, usually when the kids have a birthday I just throw things together kinda last minute. Their birthdays seem to creep up on me every year because of the hustle and bustle of our lives, but this year for this child I paid attention to the calendar and have planned a fabulous day doing the things that I know that she will love to do. 

Because parenting Elizabeth is so hard and has been from the day she came into this world I don't think I tell her enough or show her enough just how special she is to me.  I want to change that and I thought that a special birthday would be just the kick start I need. 

During the sermon on Sunday our pastor told us that 80% of what comes out of our mouths as parents is negative. I was floored. But when I really got to thinking about it that number sounds about right. I write great things on my blog and on Facebook about how special my kids are and how wonderful they are, but I don't often, if ever, tell them that. How crazy is that?! 

They need to hear those words of affirmation from me. They need to know I am proud of them and I think that they are great human beings. That I love them with every ounce of my being. 

Why not kick start my personal challenge to praise my kids more by having a party? A party for the girl who probably receives my praise the least. 

I have been storing the things that I know that she will really like as gifts in my mind for the last few months. Sarah and I are going to go shopping this weekend for her gifts. We are going to pick out her favorite candy for our annual pinata. We are going to decorate the house with as much bling as possible. I want to bedazzle her with birthday bling so when we go to the mall to shop (which she loves to do) for some of her birthday gifts everyone will know that it is her special day. 

My mom tried to always make our birthdays matter. She worked hard to make those days special. And it worked because I may not remember a ton about them, but I do remember her effort and the love she put into them. Even though my children are older I would like to begin making them feel as valued and loved on their special days as I did on mine. 


On Monday, when Elizabeth opens her eyes I cannot wait to see her smile. I cannot wait to shower her with attention and love all day long. She deserves it. She is definitely one special kid. 




No comments:

Post a Comment