Saturday, April 21, 2018

The Places We Will Be

We are in the midst of house hunting right now. We have decided to rent again instead of buying. After our experience here in Portland I need an easy exit if the town we choose isn't the right fit. Buying won't allow us that flexibility if we choose wrong.

It's a bit surreal - our lives - at times like this. Right now I am avidly looking online on a daily basis trying to gather as much information as I can about the various towns and villages surrounding Indianapolis as well as Indy itself. Bob is doing double the work I am when he comes home from work and early in the mornings before he leaves for work.

We chose wrong here. This particular neighborhood and part of the city weren't right for us. And I know that we are both very afraid of choosing wrong again because we know how devastating it can be to do so. And we are trying not to make the same mistakes twice.

We have about three weeks left before we move. Actually, 19 days, if the relocation company can get the movers to our house on the date we have chosen to move. It will take Bob and I about 5 days to drive the 2300 miles from here to Indianapolis. I am looking forward to that journey - just he and I - for so many reasons.

It is weird to look online at all of the information one can gather on each potential place we might call home. It is surreal to look at grocery store information, parks, schools, etc... and know that those may be the places that our family actually uses and becomes a part of our every day lives. These unfamiliar landscapes that will become part of the fabric of our lives. It is cool to look at neighborhoods and to think that there are some children/teenagers who live in these homes that will become my children's friends.

Between Sarah wrapping up her horse therapy, Andy wrapping up his job, Josh & Elizabeth wrapping up their soccer seasons, there is no time for Bob and I to actually take a trip out to Indy ourselves before we move. We are trusting the internet to glean as much information as we can and provide us with a landing spot. This may seem crazy to most people, but this is our 3rd move in almost 4 years. We have a general idea of what we are looking for and what we aren't looking for. It is easy to spot some of those things using general websites like googlemaps, wikipedia, city data, trulia, zillow, etc...

I love imagining our life in Indy. I love thinking about the places we will be. I love imagining holidays with loved ones. I love the idea of Midwestern hospitality becoming an every day part of my life again. I love having hope again.

Right now is such a cool time in our lives. And I plan to savor each moment. Each unknown part of our journey - the house we settle in, the town we choose, the people who will become our tribe, will soon become known to us.

All of the places we will be have yet to unfold, but I am so looking forward to that journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment