Saturday, December 31, 2022

2022 Books Read May - December

Every year I have a goal to read at least 52 books. With the exception of this year, I have been able to accomplish that goal every year I have been keeping track. I am not sure why I was not able to reach my goal this year. I feel like I got off to a bad start the first half of the year, and I spent the rest of the year trying to make up for my deficit, but I just couldn't catch up. By the end of April, I had only read eleven books which is unheard of for me. If I had to guess, I would say that I am much closer to twenty books by that time period. I ended the year only reading 49 books. I am actually much more disappointed in my results than I had anticipated and am going to try very hard to make sure this doesn't happen again next year. 

Like every other year, I had some books that I read for the second (or third, fourth, or fifth) time because they were so good, but I would say that the majority of the books I chose to read were all new to me. I think that there were only one or two that I did not like. I only read a handful of fiction books as my love of reading really centers on non-fiction books, particularly history books. 

Here are the books I read from May = December of this year:



The Hard Line by Ken Ellingwood
I am very passionate about illegal immigration and the root causes of it. I also tend to read books in clumps where I will read multiple books on the same topic, usually back-to-back. I become obsessed with one topic and then tend to move on to something else. Usually, I will come back to topics I have read before and try and find books to read. 

Narrative of my Life as a captive among the sioux indians by fanny kelly
Some books, like the one above, I see referenced in other books I have read. This book has come up several times in different books I have read. It was a pretty neat first-hand account of one's captivity among the Sioux Indians. 

Down by the River by Charles Bowden

Princes Sultana's Circle by Jean Sasson
Such a good book series about life among Saudia Arabia women. The covers are a little tacky (in my opinion) which makes them look like they would be fiction books, but actually they are non-fiction.

Walking to Listen by Andrew Forsthoefel
This book caught my attention because it reminded me a bit of Studs Terkel's book titled Working.
I loved Working so much. If I could have a dream job, it would be interviewing people about their lives. That fascinates me. 

Memorial Drive by Natasha Trethewey

Across the Wire by Luis Urrea

Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne
I read this book every year, sometimes twice a year because I love it so much. 

Vanderbilt by Anderson Cooper
I have become intrigued by the Vanderbilt family since we now live so close to the Biltmore. I have fascinated with dynasty families of which I would include Vanderbilts. 

Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick

Princess: Stepping Out of the Shadows by Jean Sasson

Barracoon by Nora Hurston

Princess: More Tears to Cry by Jean Sasson

Princess: More Secrets to Share by Jean Sasson

The Husband Hunters by Ann De Courcy

The Glitter and the Gold by Consuelo Vanderbilt Balsan

Blood and Treasure by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin

The Last Castle by Denise Kiernan

Lion by Saroo Brierley

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Dead in Their Tracks by John Annerino

Working by Studs Turkel

The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop by Fannie Flag

Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris
This is the third book of a trilogy that I first read a year or two ago and decided to tackle it again.

Crossing Over by Ruben Martinez

Heiresses by Laura Thompson

One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus

When The Astors Owned New York by Justin Kaplan

The Adventurer's Son by Roman Dial

Princess by Jean Sasson

The Heart of Everything That Is by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin
This is another book I have read multiple times and can see myself reading just about every year. 

Princess Sultana's Daughters by Jean Sasson

Do Nothing by Celeste Headlee

Fortune's Children by Arthur Vanderbilt II

The Impossible Climb by Mark Synnott

Frontier Follies by Ree Drummond

Heartland by Sarah Smarsh

The Journey of Crazy Horse by Joseph Marshall III



No comments:

Post a Comment