Monday, November 12, 2012

The No Media Campaign - Part 2



I have decided to quit Facebook for a while. We need some time apart, Facebook and I, because we are spending too much time together, and it is making me feel yucky. I do not need to spend time looking at people's pictures that I do not talk to on a regular basis nor do I really need to be paying attention to the random babbling of other people. My time is too busy. (That being said - I post some pretty random babble on the site as well, so I am a just as guilty of this as the next person.) I guess, now that I have this blog I can go on a tangent about my beliefs, struggles, and triumphs. I don't need to put it out there on Facebook where the whole thing has gotten way out of hand. Facebook is no longer, to me, a place where I can keep in touch with family members, good friends, and old friends that I have lost touch with. I feel now that I have let Facebook become a sort of popularity contest in which I am accepting 'friend' requests just because I don't want to upset anyone that I have to see on a regular basis. This is not how it should be. I want out.

So, I am going to 'go dark' on Facebook for a while. If I am trying to teach my children that technology is a good thing, but only in small doses, then I need to lead by example not by words alone. I am going to allow myself access to my blog - which won't take up too much time because it is just me, and a handful (if I am being optimistic) of people who read it. I am also going to allow myself time to read the blogs that I follow. I really get a lot of ideas and inspiration from those blogs and I need that support especially since my parenting is so much more conservative than 95% of the population in my community. It is nice to read what other women have to say and what they believe, and to know that I am not alone.

I know that giving up Facebook will be hard. That sounds so ridiculous to read! But electronic devises are addicting, and I can say that I am falling into the category of spending way too much time on the computer, and on Facebook in general.

I will keep you all posted on how it is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment