Friday, November 2, 2012

The No Media Campaign



In order to live simply in my house we have begun a 'no media' campaign. So, with the exception of my morning blog/FB check, we are not on the computer, watching TV, or playing video games. We have done this before, and I generally do not allow the children to participate in any of these activities on a school night, but the difference now is that I TOO am participating. No more TV while I fold the laundry, no more people.com (which I do miss terribly because after all, celebrities lives are SUPER important, aren't they? Sarcasm noted.), no more random searches on the Internet for this or that - nothing. 

You know what? I have found myself thriving. I never really paid attention to how much time I wasted on media. Now I feel like I have so much more time to actually do the things that I want/need to do. I just feel all around better, and I know that the kids do too. Sure, they miss those forms of entertainment (and let's be honest - I do too), but we are having such a ball that I know as each day goes on they are missing it less and less. 

We are connecting on a level that I feel I should have been connecting with them on all along. Let's face it - I know better. If being connected to them is as important to me as I say it is then I need to make PERMANENT changes. Sometimes though, breaking bad habits is MUCH harder than it seems. Yes, there are times when I have felt super connected to each of them at different points in their lives, but this no media thing has given me the freedom to become connected to them all. I am getting the things done that I should be during the day which has freed up my nights. Before, I was watching TV a couple of days a week which would put me behind schedule. I would then use the night time to get those things done. In doing so, I would shoo the kids away while I did said household items on my to do list, and then wonder why they got into trouble! What was I thinking???!!!

 I am finding that my patience has increased and their patience with each other has increased. As we have made this transition there have been some difficulties  and I am sure that there will be more down the road. The kids still annoy each other - it is just so much less now. 

 We are sitting down together each night and to partake in a nutritious family meal and conversing about various things. Since Bob's departure to Chicago I have not been doing as good of a job in the family meal department, and I have realized that we NEED to have family meals every night as a way to connect to one another (in spite of the fact that our whole family is not together during the week). It is a vital part of our family life and I need to restore that. 

I have also found that their creativity is back. They are creating their own games each night - things such as obstacle courses or different versions of hide-and-go-seek or having "wars" with the bad guys where they are all on the same team. They are ALL playing together which is awesome because before they would each be in their own rooms doing whatever, and would get completely annoyed if someone wanted to do something with them. I have seen the most change in the boys. Joshua has been really making an extra effort to include this girls in his play time. And, although I know he would never admit it, I think he is really enjoying hanging out with them. I know that I have loved every minute of them playing together. 

Each night we do something as a family. Whether it is a family game of hide-and-seek, or a board game, or a craft (last night we made home made play dough) we are spending much needed quality time together. I am also having the kids help set the table, clear the table, and make dinner. It is yet another way that I can have bonding time with each of them. It is also another way that I can get my chores done more quickly so that we can spend more time together as a family.

I feel that I have allowed the media to soak up a lot of our time together, and I am no longer going to allow that to happen. I like my new life. I feel good inside and I know in my gut that although this decision is definitely not mainstream it sure does work for our family. At the end of the day that is all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment