Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Birthday Girl - Miss Sarah

Dear Sarah,

Tomorrow is your 9th birthday, and I cannot wait to spend the day with you. I want you (and the whole world) to know that you are a gift from heaven. You were born at 9:22 am on a very windy December 1st morning 9 years ago. At 10 lbs 4 oz you were the biggest of all of your brothers and sister. You were the easiest baby. Always smiling and laughing and sleeping. You have always been the best sleeper. The December of your birth was probably one of my most sacred times of motherhood. Your brothers were totally in love with you as was your daddy. They were so careful around you, and always wanted to be near you. We were all mesmerized by your grace and beauty even as a newborn. I was so happy that you were a girl, and I felt an unbreakable connection to you the moment I laid eyes on you. 

My love for you is bigger than the sky. I would do anything, and I mean anything for you, my sweet angel. I know that this year has been very hard for you. I am sorry that there have been times when you have been very sad. I wish more than anything in this whole wide world that I could take your sadness away from you, and make it my own. Please know that although things in your life might not make much sense to you right now there is a plan for your life that is bigger than any of us. You were meant to do great things with your life. You were meant to touch peoples lives and change them forever after. I know that you have done that for me already. 

I am so proud of you. You are the bravest young lady that I have ever known. You are braver than a lot of grown ups too! I hope that you someday understand how many lives you touch with your beauty. You have an inner light that shines so brightly it illuminates not only yourself, but all of those around you. There is a saying, Sarah, that I hold dear to my heart and it goes something like this:


Some people come into our lives 

and leave footprints on our hearts 
and we are never ever the same. 
By Flavia Weedn

You leave footprints in the heart of every person you meet because you are just that kind of a girl. I hope you always remember how special you are. You are a gift to us all. 

Life is what you make of it, so let's make this the best year yet, okay? Let's have the most fun that we can, and see the most things that we can see. Let's walk on the beach in Cape Cod. Let's visit NYC in the spring. Let's make the most of the time we have - you, me, daddy, Andy, Josh, and Elizabeth - all of us together.  

 I hope that this year is full of making memories, laughter, and hope. I will be there with you every step of the way, as will your daddy. I know that he loves you with all of his heart too. I also know that there is no mountain that he would not move for you if he could. Your kindergarten teacher had it right when she nicknamed you Sarah Sunshine. 

I hope you never forget that you are loved. No matter where you go in this world, no matter who you become, no matter what you do - you will always be unconditionally loved. You are truly an angel from heaven. I love you so much. Happy 9th Birthday, Sarah Marion. 

Love always and forever, 
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment