Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Education

I have always hated that in almost every area of my life I have my feet firmly planted on both sides of an issue. For example, I have the urge to both move my family out of state to  allow them opportunities of travel and to experience what it is like to make new roots, but then I have the urge to keep my family in the same town we live in now to give them the opportunity to grow up with the friends they made in kindergarten. I have wavered between wanting a simple life - a modest home and modest things and then wanting a luxurious life with a fancy home and fancy things. I have switched between the importance of conventional food and organic food so many times I have lost count.  My feeling on conventional medicine and holistic medicine each pull me towards their side in a vicious tug of war.  The list goes on and on. Often times I wish that I could just be firmly planted on one side of any issue - no matter if I was right or wrong - just so that I did not have to deal with the mental ping pong of going back and forth between life's biggest choices.

There is only one topic that I am glad and very grateful that I am firmly planted on both sides of the issue and that is public school and homeschooling. I have done both, and can see both the positive and the negative of both sides. I can see very clearly the points of those who lean very strongly in support of one over the other. I do not think that public schools are the enemy - there are many things that I do not like about them, but there are also so many good things about them. Homeschooling certainly is not a perfect fit for everyone, and there are a few downsides for those of us willing to be honest about it. But on the flip side, homeschooling has also been a wonderful blessing for our family, and for many more out there. I am grateful that I have the right to homeschool.

I bring this topic up because Sarah had been asking if she could visit her second grade teachers at the elementary school she attended last year. Contacting them was on my 'to do' list, and I was hoping to get her up to the school before Thanksgiving to be able to say 'hello' to them. Elizabeth happened to have a Daisy meeting at the elementary school this evening, and I brought Sarah with me. When we pulled into the parking lot Sarah thought she saw one of her teacher's car, but because of the late hour thought she must be mistaken. We decided to take a chance and see if the vehicle that she saw in the parking lot was indeed the one she thought it was. Lo and behold at their computers were not one, but both of her second grade teachers from last year working diligently on their school work. Sarah was so excited to see them. They were happy to see her as well, and after 15 - 20 minutes chit chatting with them we bade them farewell with hugs and well wishes for a happy Thanksgiving.

It was so great to see them. I think that seeing them made Sarah's day. For as much as I think there is wrong with the institution of public education - those women are everything that is right about it. School had let out over 2.5 hours earlier, and here were these women who were still in the school building preparing lesson plans for the following week. It is the teachers that I love so much about public education. The kindhearted women and men who wake up extra early to get to school to make sure their students have the best day they can, and who also stay after to make sure that everything is in place for the following day and weeks to come. These teachers take what is given to them, in terms of mandates by the government, and make something great out of it. I especially love the teachers from the kids elementary school. With rare exception we have truly been blessed by those dedicated and loving women (and a man) who work tirelessly to make sure that my children got the best education that they could provide within the scope of their resources.

I do miss the people that I got to know at the elementary school over the years. I think that is what I miss most about homeschooling my kids is seeing the friendly faces of teachers and staff day in and day out. (Of course, on the flip side there were a few people that I am so grateful that I do not have to see day in and day out. These people though, are the rare exception.)

In saying all of this, I feel that homeschooling the kids was 150% the right thing to do this year. I am extremely glad that the boys came home as I was less than impressed by the middle school. I am also glad that I asked the girls to come home for this year as well. I do not think that Sarah would have done well in public school this year with her eye issues even with all of the help that the school offered. I think it would have been very stressful to have her there (for her). Would I be surprised if the girls asked to go back to school next year? No. Will I let them? Yes. I asked them to come home for 1 school year. If they choose to go back next year, then so be it. I will honor their request. If they choose to want to stay home I will honor that request too. I love having my kids home with me. If it were up to me I would homeschool all of them right through graduation.

In the end, only time will tell what the future holds. What I know now is that I am extremely grateful for the staff at Lincoln Elementary and I am extremely grateful that I homeschool my kids. Having my feet firmly planted on each side of the education debate is exactly where I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment