Thursday, November 7, 2013

There is ALWAYS Hope

I received a phone call this morning from a nurse who works with the doctor who released Sarah from the hospital on Saturday. God bless that nurse and doctor. Not only did that nurse promise to have Sarah a taper by the end of the day she also found a neurologist who would take Sarah on full time at Akron Children's. We now have an appointment in December to see her. When I thanked the nurse for helping me, her response was that this doctor would never leave anyone hanging and that they were happy to help Sarah. I almost started to cry on the phone with her.

I was scared out of my mind yesterday. Questioning everything. Beating myself up for all of the choices I have made and not made, not only since May, but throughout all of my parenting life. I was losing hope quickly. It was a rough night, and I didn't sleep well.

And just like that, an angel from heaven (to me at least) comes down and eases my fears and restores my HOPE. I feel so much better than I did yesterday evening.

Bob and I talked last night about what our game plan is going to be. This whole thing threw us for a loop, but it was necessary. We needed to be jolted and tested to see how great our resolve was in not starting Sarah on Avonex. We both agree that now is not the time for her to begin this medication. We also both agree that there may come a time when she will need to be on it. We are not against treating her with this drug - we are against treating her with this drug without trying all noninvasive avenues that we can. Our plan is to change our diet, get her on 600 IU's of Vitamin D, 1.8 mcg of B12, and 1 tsp of her fish oil supplement.(I have done a decent amount of research over the last few days to know that these supplements are a good place to start. All 3 of these vitamins/nutrients are things that MS patients could use to repair the myelin and provide good cell growth. We are looking into a plant based diet as well as gluten free - both have been shown to help some people manage their MS better.) She will continue on her steroid treatment, and if all of THIS doesn't resolve her current eye issues then we will begin looking at Avonex.  This is what we both feel equally comfortable doing.

I was in such a dark place last night. This morning the sun is out, and a new light is cast upon our lives. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like your plan is filled with hope and people who support you! I would love to hear more about your dietary changes. Given the sorry state of the industrial food system, I am always interested to hear how other moms make changes regarding feeding their family.

    ReplyDelete