Monday, May 25, 2015

A Birthday Boy - Joshua

13. My youngest son turned 13 years old at 9:55 (est) this morning. As my lightest child weighing in at 8 lbs 14 oz, Joshua has truly been a blessing. He such a sweet boy. He doesn't like to show his emotions yet underneath his exterior he is a sensitive boy - young man - for sure. At one point in his life I found it very hard to connect with him. It isn't that we did not get along it was just that I found it harder to form a bond with him than I did with the other children. He does not let people in very easily and for years I felt like I was on the outside of his circle of trust (to borrow a line from Meet the Fockers). That changed about two years ago when life was a bit chaotic for our family. Since then he has let me into his inner most thoughts and feelings and I am honored that he trusts me in a way I am not sure he trusts most other people. I take great pride in the fact that I am a confidant of his and I will never betray him. He is hands down the funniest person I know and he is spot on with his one liners. He makes me laugh like none other. He is an amazing athlete. He is honest and loyal. He is not a follower, but is a leader in his own quiet way. I  love watching him grow.  I am honored to be his mother.

Josh chose to have a quiet day at home today. He was feeling pretty sad this morning and was missing his friends and family. He did not like not being surrounded by those he loves as is the norm for his past birthdays. It has been hard for him to adjust to having a quiet day. We offered to take somewhere or to do something outside of our home, but he just wanted to rent movies, play video games, and play in the pool today. I was okay with that.



He is looking forward to visiting his friends and family in Ohio in 10 days. He told me that was when his real birthday begins.

I cannot wait to see what this next year brings for Josh. He is amazing. I am proud of him beyond words. I love him with all of my heart.

Happy 13th Birthday, Joshua!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment