Friday, May 15, 2015

This & That

This time of year is always hard for me. May 18th was the beginning of our journey with Sarah's disease. I am always very reflective beginning the last week in April and this quiet time seems to follow me through the anniversary of  her diagnosis.


This young man makes my heart happy. 
Bob and I staged a much needed intervention on Andy's behalf a couple of days ago. We both saw that Andy needed to see his friends desperately and agreed (despite the cost) that we would get him back to Ohio. This whole thing started because our trip back to Ohio as a family got canceled and we did not think that we were going to be able to get back until the winter. The cause of this cancellation was the information that we received after attending a parent/child soccer meeting at the high school in which Andy will be trying out for. Basically, we were told that practices begin June 15th. They last until tryouts commence in August. And although they are not "mandatory" because of NM athletic association laws....they are mandatory if you read between the lines. Because it has been nearly impossible to get Andy on a team that will benefit him at all Andy decided that it would be best to not go back to Ohio this summer so that he could attend all of the two-a-days and scrimmages that the high school is having before cuts are made. This decision tore him apart because he really needs a soccer community here, but he really wanted to go back to Ohio to see his friends and family. So...two nights ago I was on our home computer checking flights and Bob was on his work computer at the kitchen table checking for time off of work. Together we were able to coordinate our family schedule to fly Andy (and Josh) back to Ohio for 6 days so that he could see his friends. Bob and I were willing to make the sacrifice for Andy because we knew how much he needed this. Once soccer begins I know that doors will open for Andy. He is such a hard worker and has such a good work ethic that I feel he has a very strong case in making the team. Time will tell I suppose. The Rio Rapids team that I was told he was going to be able to play for he ended up being 3 months too old for. So I am back to trying to contact the coach that I tried to reach months ago (but would not return my calls, texts, emails).  There are no other teams for Andy to play for in town that are on par with what he needs and I feel strongly that if he could make the high school team the Rio Rapids soccer club will work out for Andy too. (Plus, I have Josh's coach helping me out now as well. This is a HUGE bonus as Josh's coach is known around town for being one of the best, if not the best, soccer coach in Las Cruces.)

This kid cracks me up. Every. Day. 
Josh appears to be healed from his hairline fractures. The fluid is gone from his knee, the swelling non existent, and he has zero pain. He is still in pool physical therapy 3 days a week, but that ends next week. His orthopedic doctor would like to have him continue on with his physical therapy, but quite frankly I am beginning to think that the whole thing is a scam. When we first went to the doctor we were told that this injury would take 4-6 weeks to heal. We were told that Josh would need to stay on crutches and that he would need physical therapy so that the muscles in his leg did not atrophy. Fine with me. But we are now almost 8 weeks past the injury date - the doctor still has Josh on crutches (although he can now be weight bearing) and wants him in physical therapy 3 times a week for another month. The thing is is that Josh doesn't use his crutches around the house. He has been playing basketball with Andy in the front yard for the past several weeks. He has been kicking a soccer ball around for the past month. All without pain, swelling, fluid,etc...I know that Josh is fine. I have had this sinking feeling since almost the beginning of his injury that we were being duped and that all of this medical intervention was not necessary, but of course, I did not listen to my gut, and I have paid the price for it. Literally. Medical bills have been pouring in, and thankfully I have been able to pay them all, but when I looked up his medical bills on our insurance company's claim center today and saw that we were billed $400 for a pair of crutches I damn near lost it. (Which because we choose to have a high deductible - Bob and I, and not our insurance company, paid for those crutches...). So, I am done. I have paid for physical therapy up thru the end of next week. I am cancelling the third "follow up" appointment that he has scheduled for next month with the orthopedic doctor. (Which of course they bill me handsomely for even though the doctors run about an hour behind schedule and are with Josh for no more than 5 minutes. Seriously.) I think that the whole thing is ridiculous. I also think that because we have such an aging community here that the medical system thinks that they can get away with this "extended" care (i.e. billing insurance companies & patients for unnecessary care). The health system down in this part of the country is a disgrace. Unfortunately, I am not the only one to think that way. Even those who are native to this area acknowledge that the care here is sub-par. It is maddening. So, in a nutshell, Mama's done playing.


We are slowly winding down our school year. I am going to start schooling again once we get back from Ohio - most likely the 3rd week in June. By doing so we are able to take longer breaks in other months when family is visiting us or we are visiting friends/family back north. Plus, I like schooling year round because the kids seem to retain more.

I am finding that I feel like I am running around like a nut everyday. I have decided that I am going to block out 2 - 3 days a week where we do not have anywhere to go. (With the exception of evening soccer practices.) No appointments, no play dates, no errands. Nothing, but being home. For my own sanity I need to do that.

The weather here has been cooler than normal, but this is fine by me. It has been nice. I think that some days  the weather has been cooler here than in Ohio. Who would have thought? The wind here is picking up. I have been advised that this is pretty late in the year for the windy season to be upon us, but it is indeed here. The other night the wind was blowing so hard I did not know how all of the trees did not blow over. I guess they are used to the weather. We are supposed to have 50 mph gusts this evening - just in time for a soccer game Andy is playing in. Bob is especially loving the windy days as this makes cleaning the pool twice as fun. Other than that the weather has been amazing. I cannot get enough sunshine. I could not imagine living any where else at this point because we have so many sunny days here. I value the sunshine so much that I would hesitate to move somewhere that did not have close to as much sun as we have here. It makes that much of a difference.

My girl and her daddy. 
The girls are doing well. I have to get Sarah back to Cleveland at some point this fall so that she can be seen by the slew of doctors that oversee her care. I also need to get her back so that she can see her best friend Joselynn & family. She was so sad when she was told that we are not going to be able to go back to Ohio this summer. Although she was happy when we told her that we would takes the steps necessary to make sure she could begin her horse therapy when I returned from Ohio in June.

Elizabeth has made some great strides in her behavior. She will always be strong willed, but she is doing an amazing job following directions and listening. I am happy that we are finally moving in a positive direction. She is also getting along with the kids better. Josh has found a companion to play 2 on 1 in basketball - Elizabeth and Josh verse Andy. They play quite regularly and this has strengthened their bond which is something that she desperately needed. She has also made a lot of friends here and appears to be very happy in the homeschooling community.

Miss Elizabeth working on an art project.

Night swimming!!!!




Andy getting into the pool for the first time since we moved here. 

Lily making sure everything and everyone is alright. 



This picture cracks me up. Seriously. 

Homeschool birthday pinata. Dude, are we the weird neighbor's or what??!!!

 

                                                     THESE VIEWS NEVER GET OLD!!!!


We are definitely not in Kansas anymore, Toto.  Like how Josh hiked up his shorts to show off his manly legs?!  I swear these kids are so funny!!!








1 comment:

  1. I, too, have found that having 2-3 days per week at home is the best for keeping from feeling like I am constantly running around. I do often have a few short phone appts on those days, but other than that, it is great to be able to slow down and take things as they come on those days. The kids and I are able to be more spontaneous, such as going for a long desert walk with our nature notebooks if the weather is nice, or playing games at home. And I am able on those days to make sure I have time to do the activities that are for me, not them (such as yoga and my own studying/music practice/etc).

    I also have found yoga to be hugely helpful in keeping my mental state clear and content. I try to do yoga a couple times a week, and by now the kids know not to disturb me during this time :) It always leaves me feeling so calm and ready to face the rest of the day. There is a great free, high-quality yoga site that I enjoy; here are a few of my favorite videos from there if you are interested:

    https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/twist-and-stretch (this is a great calming routine and appropriate for beginner's)

    https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-runners-injury-prevention (even though I am not a runner, I enjoy this beginner's class; Fiji McAlpine is one of my favorite instructors as she always has great variations on the poses and I love her cuing)

    https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/happy-hamstrings (this is another class by Fiji; it is short yet intense so I love it on days when I need a boost and want something more challenging; it is also a great total-body workout)

    ReplyDelete