Friday, October 2, 2015

September Food Budget Blues

I didn't even total up my September food costs. I don't even want to know what the damage is. We had visitors the first week of the month and it all went down hill from there. Plus, I am finding that of my three big buckets: homeschooling, housework, and food (cooking healthy meals, the budget, etc...) the first thing to go is the budget.

I know some of you may be wondering why I even bother to keep trying to maintain some control over my food costs -  I wonder the same thing too. I guess the reason I keep  attempting to rein in my food budget is because I figure if I keep on trying one of these months I might actually have a sustainable breakthrough. Once that happens I can build upon that and get to my original end point which was trying to feed our family a healthy diet on a food stamp budget.

My main focus this month is going to be food organization. I find that when I don't take the time to plan out a menu and grocery shop on a consistent basis that I end up buying more expensive foods that take less time to prepare. Convenience foods, even healthy ones, are so much more expensive than if I just make something myself. When you add the organic wholesome angle it just makes it even more expensive.

I have thought about trying to plan out a menu for the whole month. I wouldn't grocery shop once a month though I would just have the game plan in place and then each week I would need to decide when I could fit in grocery shopping. I have also thought about trying to make an extra meal on Saturday's that I can freeze. This way when I have those moments where something comes up and I feel that I have no game plan for dinner I can just throw the frozen meal in the oven and viola! I now have dinner.

I really wish that this whole food thing wasn't so stressful for me, but I know that if I can make some headway that it will be worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment