Friday, May 20, 2016

2 &20 Days

Bob leaves on Sunday to begin the next chapter of our life. 2 days. That's it. How can one actually absorb all of the goodness and beauty that New Mexico offers in just two days?

I am thankful the kids and I have 20 days left. At least that still seems like enough time to get to some of those last minute spots that stole my heart over the course of these last 19 months. The kids and I want to visit Cloudcroft one more time and then hit up White Sands. I need to go to my beloved Soledad Canyon one more time and absorb as much of its wonder into my brain as I possibly can. I also need to climb up A Mountain one more time and look down on the valley below and the mountains in front of me.

20 days. Man, that doesn't seem like long at all.

The insurance adjuster comes out on Monday to assess our damages. Who would have guessed that we would have water/hail damage living in the desert?! Twice. Tuesday another repair man will visit to fix yet another thing that is working quite right that I don't want the future owners to have to deal with. It's never fun when you are trying to fix the issues the people you bought a house from to make sure that the people who buy the house from you don't have to deal with. The week after, supposedly, we have a roofing company coming out to fix the external and internal damages caused by hail/water. Once that work is completed our house will finally be ready to put on the market. I am a bit nervous that the roofer will not keep his word that he will repair our home in two weeks. His company has work for the next four months because of the round of hail storms we have had here in the last year. He is squeezing us in and rearranging his schedule to get our work done, but we have been burned by contractors before so I am not holding my breath. (Maybe say a prayer that it will all work out as it should.) I am going to have put my big girl boots on as I feel that these contractors deal with men better than women, but with Bob being 1600 miles away they are going to have to deal with me, and I am going to have to have some pretty great BS detectors on in order to make sure the work that needs to get done gets done without being overcharged. The only thing that keeps me sane are the thoughts that everything will work out and that karma is a you-know-what when you screw people over.

Josh still has some soccer playing left, and I am thankful that his work with his current team is not yet done. He will be playing in a 3x3 tournament Memorial Day weekend and then the following weekend in a tournament with his whole team in El Paso. It will be a bit weird as I am pretty sure that he is going to be playing on the team as a guest player instead of a legit one. This understandable of course because we are moving the following week and it isn't fair for him to take a spot on a team that he will not be playing with next season. I am so very grateful that we will have an opportunity to officially close his soccer season out with this team. That first weekend in June will be an awful special one for our family. It will be emotional as well, but it is only this way because this team means so much to us.

Now that I have an official order of operations here prior to our move I am feeling much better. The adjuster, the last repairman, the roofing company, an estate sale, the realtor putting the house on the market, the movers coming, and then finally Bob coming back to take us to our new home is what our to do list looks like. I am excited by the adventure that the Northwest presents, but I am so afraid that I will not love it like I love living here.

2 & 20 days. There is so much to be done. There is so much to experience. Life is good in Las Cruces.


No comments:

Post a Comment