Sunday, May 1, 2016

It's official...The Greggs are moving again!

After a long interview process and some negotiations over the fine print of the salary/move package the Gregg family can finally announce that we are moving to Portland, Oregon!

We are very excited by this new prospect, but are very much going to miss living in New Mexico. We have loved living here and have loved even more the people who have become a surrogate family to us.

We found out last Wednesday that this move was in our future and it has been whirlwind of details since then. Bob is going to begin his new job on May 23rd and will be traveling to the new office next week to meet his coworkers and staff.

The kids and I will follow Bob shortly thereafter. The month of May is jam packed with a vacation this week to the Grand Canyon and then three weekends in a row up in Albuquerque where Josh's soccer team will be competing the state title.

During the weeks in between Josh's soccer games we will be meeting with realtors, movers, etc...to get our house on the market and our belongings packed up to make the 1600 mile trip north to Portland.

We plan on making some significant changes in the way we live in terms of the size our home and the amount of belongings we have. A small part of this is because Portland is so much more expensive to live in than Las Cruces, but the biggest reason why we are going to be making some changes is because I do not value having a large home and a lot of material possessions. I would rather live in a cheaper home and use the rest of that money to travel, but I will write more about that another time. I am also pretty sure that we are going to rent  a home instead of buying one as we are not sure how long we will be living in the Pacific Northwest and are not sure it makes sense to buy a house.

The irony of moving to Portland is not lost on me as I am moving from one of the sunniest places this country has to offer to one of the rainiest. I would be remiss to say that I am not partially nervous about the lack of sunshine as I struggled so much with the gray overcast whether in Ohio, but I have been told time and time again by several people who have lived in Portland that there is so much to do and see in the area that the rain will not deter our family from having a quality life filled with amazing experiences.

Right now, I am not looking too forward to what the future holds as I want to experience and enjoy as much of the beauty and friendship that my life in Las Cruces has afforded me. Before I finish this chapter in my life I want to take in all of the sights and sounds that make my heart happy and have made living here these past 18 months one of the best parts of my life to date.

I will keep you all posted on things as they progress. At this point, I am thinking that I will be traveling to Portland to house hunt with Bob Memorial Day weekend, but things seem to change constantly with this move as each day presents itself.

In the meantime, I am just going to take each day as it comes and enjoy it to its fullest. Something I have not always been so good at doing in the past, but something I am growing to learn to do. I am so grateful and humbled by the life that I get to lead. When I was little girl I never would dreamed a life like mine was possible. And now as an adult I get to live this amazing life every single day. Life is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment