Sunday, May 22, 2016

An 'A' Mountain Sunset

Yesterday was Bob's last full day as a resident of New Mexico. He gets on a plane today at 2:30 mst to head north to begin the next chapter in our family's life. One of the things that he had wanted to do prior to leaving was to head up to the top of A Mountain one last time. Because it was kinda hot here during most of the day we had decided to head up around sunset and and brought flashlights to use should we have needed them to accompany us back down the trail.

Sarah was completely on board with this hike which was amazing because it can be such a difficult journey for her, but she knew that this was going to be her last time up as well and wanted to make the trek. Bob took Sarah up the mountain while I took the two dogs and the other three kiddos. We took different trails as I needed to take the shortest trail up because I knew that it was going to be torture for me to climb to the top since I hadn't been up there in so long. Bob needed to take the trail that was the most seeing impaired friendly. (Note: there really isn't one.)

It should be no surprise that the kids, dogs, and I made it up first, so we waited for Sarah and Bob and cheered her on those last few steps once she got close to the summit. Watching her climb to the top brought tears to my eyes because she is amazing. In those moments when I get to see her climb a mountain (both literally and figuratively) and come out on top despite her struggles to get there I know that that everything will be okay for her in her life to come.  She is so much tougher and braver than I give her credit for. I would also like to give kudos to Elizabeth who was cheering Sarah on the loudest by clapping and yelling down encouragement to her. One of Elizabeth's strengths is that she is a great partner to have on your side to cheer you on. She is incredibly supportive and, in this instance, was just as excited as Sarah was that Sarah made it to the top.

We hung out all together and watched the amazing sunset. The pictures that I have for you will never do that sunset a lick of justice. I hope someday, if your heart desires, that you will be able to watch a New Mexico sunset. Better yet, I hope that you get to watch a Las Cruces sunset. There will never be adequate words to describe its beauty.

Arriving near the top of the mountain.

She did it! I wonder what she is thinking about?

Las Cruces is beautiful...









While it looks barren and brown and without life I have learned that this is not true. There is so much beauty here both immediately visual to the eye and also just below the surface if you are willing to take the time to look. 












Life is good in Las Cruces.

No comments:

Post a Comment