Monday, May 23, 2016

And Then There Were 5

Bob arrived in Portland in the early evening hours last night. His plane with American Airlines didn't incur any delays or cancellations which makes me want to send AA a 'thank you' gift for getting the job done right since it happens so infrequently.

The kids and I straightened up the house after dropping Bob off at the airport and the girls began getting some of their items ready for our garage sale next weekend. I am a nervous wreck about the sale because I have so much stuff that I need to unload and I am worried that I am not going to be able to do so.

After straightening up I took the kids to our favorite Mexican restaurant where we had an early dinner. We came home and the youngest 3 played in the pool. When they got too cold to swim anymore we headed over to the local school's playground where they all played together. When it got dark we headed back to the house where we hung out and talked.

I didn't sleep very well last night because I usually don't when Bob isn't here. I kept alternating between sleeping and having a million thoughts entering my mind about the garage sale, the insurance claim we filed, getting the repair work done in time for us to leave, getting the house on the market, Josh's birthday on Wednesday, & getting my tooth fixed. (I had a root canal and crown put in my mouth about a month ago, but something is wrong because my tooth is killing me where the crown is. I cannot even eat on that side of my face and Motrin does not alleviate all of the pain.) I have a feeling a good night's sleep is going to be elusive until my family is reunited again permanently.

While I am incredibly grateful for all of the amazing opportunities that Bob's employer has allowed us to experience being left behind to close out a chapter of our lives isn't fun at all. Tying up loose ends and making sure that all the boxes are checked on our humongous checklist is really hard for me. I am hoping that by renting our next place the move will be quicker and something that we can all do at one time verse sending Bob out first and then the 5 of us follow weeks later. Although, at least we are going to be reunited in 17 days. When we moved to Las Cruces we were apart for 7 weeks!

It is weird not having Bob here and knowing that he won't be coming back here to do anything else other than pick us up to drive us to our new home. This place feels incomplete. And even though Bob worked a lot it was still a comfort to know that he was just right down the road. Now if the poop hits the fan he is really far away. Thankfully, I have an amazing group of people that I can call if I need help.

17 days and then we will be 6 again. I hope that the time doesn't drag on forever. This morning seems to be lasting days. Today it is hard to enjoy being here without wishing the days away to be reunited as a whole family again.


No comments:

Post a Comment