Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Joshua - The Birthday Boy

Today Josh celebrated his 14th birthday. Just as with Andy I am amazed that my youngest son is now 14. And although it is a simplistic concept I cannot wrap my head around how these years have gone by so fast.

The changes Josh has experienced this past year are vast and very evident. There are the physical changes such as the fact that my son is now as tall as me. (Although I won't admit that to him yet and I pretend I still am a hair or two taller than he is.) His voice betrays the fact that he is closer in years to being man than a child. It's deepness is something I am still getting used to. He has experienced emotional changes as well. He is trying to once again find his way in the world and is doing his best to find his boundaries by testing me and my limits. Although this may seem very, very strange I take comfort that Josh is using me to test the limits because it means that he is most comfortable with me and knows that he can push, but I will not walk away. He knows that my love is deeper and more everlasting than harsh words or shrugged shoulders and rolled eyes will ever be. I feel honored that my son, who chooses not to get close to too many people, has allowed me into his inner circle. I know that this may not always be the case as he grows and so I cherish these years most especially.

Today Josh spent the day with his closet buddies. They arrived at our house at 8 am and woke him up to take him out to breakfast. He then spent the afternoon swimming with them and hanging out. He ended up having soccer practice which was perfect (and nice because the kids had over had practice too), and then afterwards ordered some dinner, Sonic drinks, and is having a sleepover with these same good buddies who woke him up this morning.

Josh spent his day not doing anything flashy - that isn't his style - rather he spent the day doing simple things with those he cares about the most. He was surrounded by family and friends who love him. What more could you ask for?


I cannot get this kid to take a serious picture anymore!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment