Friday, May 13, 2016

Weekend 1 of States:

Josh's soccer team qualified to participate in the state cup this year, and last weekend we traveled to Albuquerque for what will hopefully be the first of three weekends of tournament play. His team was guaranteed two games - one last weekend and one tomorrow, and then after that (I believe) it is winners stay on and losers go home. The first two games are based on a point system with a win being worth 3 points, a tie worth 1 point, and a loss worth 0 points. Whichever teams came out with the most points after two games got to advance to the next round after which it becomes a winner stays to play; losers go home. Our team got a win last weekend and will play again at 11 am tomorrow. Because of how the other teams fared in our bracket we are able to move onto the third game on Sunday no matter if we have a win, tie, or loss. (If we lose we play our final game on Sunday for 3rd or 4th place. If we tie or win tomorrow's game we go on to compete for the next round of play which will eventually lead to the first place game.)

Although there is a ton going on around here with my parents visiting, Bob's parents visiting prior to that, the Grand Canyon trip last week, and preparing to move I am so thankful that our family will be able to participate in this tournament - Josh as a player and me as an uber fan.

Last week's game was so fun to watch despite the a pretty strong wind that made the air feel very cold. (Well, cold for us South-westerners.) The boys we losing at half time 0-1, but I knew that we were not going to lose the game. We ended up scoring several goals in the second half and won 4-1.

Because Josh's passion is soccer I tend to invest a lot of time in his teams both emotionally and physically. His teams become like my second family. This is especially true out here in New Mexico where my closest relative is 1700 miles away. Some of the families on our team have formed a tight bond and  we spend a good amount of time together away from soccer as well just hanging out both with our children and without. I have grown to love some of these families and I am honored that they drew our family into their nest and treated us as one of their own right from the start.

Tonight I get to travel with Josh, my best gal pal here in Cruces, Lisa, her son, Josh's teammate and very good friend, Tanner , and another teammate and good friend, Eddie Spaghetti. I plan on having a great time as I always do with my soccer family. I plan on enjoying what time I have left here and making the most of it. Bob and the other kids are meeting us up in Albuquerque on Sunday to watch Josh play. It is going to be a very exciting weekend.


Josh was so happy to be able to play on "real grass" in this tournament.


Getting the ball and going with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment