Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Homeschooling Week 14/36



Lesson Plan for last week



Page two of three of the lesson plan

Page three of three of our lesson plan last week

Your art project
Sarah worked on her art project all on her own. I think she did an amazing job and based on her results would never be able to tell this this project was completed by a person who is blind. 

Elizabeth's art project
Elizabeth's art project

 We had a really solid week last week. We got through 99.9% of what I had hoped to get through and we found an easier way to schedule our school days so that we can get through our work without it being stressful or exhausting. (Although to be completely honest, for me some of the days are still exhausting.)

Each of the girls works on two subjects with me and then gets to take a short break in order for me to work on two subjects with her sister. Generally, after I have worked on 4 subjects I take a short break too. We begin our work at 10:30 am and then complete it around 4 pm most days. We are going to go with this flow until it no longer works for us and then we will look to see what works at that point. 

Sarah and I are working on outlining her science course with each chapter that we do. I am hoping that this will help her to learn the part of the body easier. She is taking a human anatomy course this year as her choice of science which comes with its own set of difficulties as I am not able to purchase tactile items for each section (such as a skeleton replica) and trying to teach a child who cannot see the intricacies of the bones in the brain and how they all fit together has been a challenge to say the least. We will get through it - we have with every other challenge we have faced, but it sometimes is not easy. 

Both girls are picking up their choice of language with more ease than I have thought. Sarah is working on Latin and Elizabeth is working on Braille. Sarah has worked on Latin in the past, but not to this depth. The curriculum we are using is really helpful and even I am learning a lot. Elizabeth had some basic understanding of braille before she began course this year, but is flying through the material that Sarah and I present her with. It is really cool to watch especially as this knowledge will allow Elizabeth an additional way in which to communicate with her best friend and sister as they get older. 

We (finally) did another art lesson last week. I don't know why I drag my feet so much with art. It is going to end up taking us all year just to get a semester's worth of work completed. The curriculum that I chose is really wonderful and provides clear and easy explanations of what to do and how to do it - I just drag my feet when it comes times to getting art completed. 

Other than that things appear to be smooth sailing. I knew that they most likely would be as this time of year has less interruptions for us than the fall. 




No comments:

Post a Comment