Sunday, January 6, 2013

Good Reads

I have always been a book lover. I am constantly trying to find a good book to read- particularly parenting books. I used to to embarrassed by the fact that I was always consuming books on how to be a better mother because I used to think that I should have all of the answers myself. Now that I am a little bit older (and maybe a smudge wiser) I know that, yes, I do have an awful lot of answers inside of me, but that sometimes it helps to get an outsiders input or perspective. I also believe that just  as a lawyer or a doctor or an educator is trying to keep their knowledge base relevant and up to date by reading the latest books, magazines, periodicals, etc...in their given field, so should I stay fresh and absorb as much as I can in my chosen field: motherhood.

Some books I read over and over every year because I find them to be amazing. I like any book by Dr. William Sears. I find his advice and information to be in tune with my own belief system when it comes to parenting. I also really enjoyed reading a book called, Parenting Is A Contact Sport: 8 Ways to Stay Connected to Your Kids for Life, by Joanne Stern. The most important thing that I picked up in her book is that your kids will always come to you first with questions on life. How you respond (or don't respond) will determine whether or not your kids will come back to you for information. If they feel they cannot come to you, their parents, then they will get their information from someone else. As a mother coming up into the teenage years myself, that point really hit home. Not only do I want to be connected to my kids, but I also want them to know that they can come to me with ANYTHING and I will answer them honestly. I want them to know that I am a safe haven for them to come to. As my children's mother, I want to make sure that they are learning what sex is, or what LCD is, or what rape is, or even who/what is God from me, not from their friends or their friends older siblings, or anyone else for that matter. So far I think I have been pretty successful with that. My boys have asked me some pretty crazy stuff, and I have always met them with a calm straight face. We'll see though, I do currently have 4 children who will all be going through the teenage years....

I am also always looking to see what books the blogs I follow recommend or are reading because I have found some real gems on their pages. For example right now I am reading a book called, Large Family Logistics, by Kim Brenneman. Totally an awesome book because it talks about how to manage a home, food, chores, shopping, etc...with children. I find it refreshing, and prefect timing given by post about house keeping and how I completely stink at deep cleaning. The only thing that I run into a lot, and this book is no exception, is that it is written by a woman of the Christian faith - which is sometimes a bit difficult for me because I am not a Christian. I guess though that when you have conservative parenting values like I do that is where you are going to find a lot of your like minded parents.  I am also rereading a book called. the Mommy Manual, by Barbara Curtis. The main focus on this book is just about planting good roots for your kids, so that when they become adults and leave home they have the best chance at being successful (not by our societies standards) human beings.

If any of your have a good parenting book, please let me know. I am always on the prowl for new stuff.

P.S. I was going to post pictures of the kids and Christmas break tonight, but there is an issue with uploading pictures on this site, so that will have to wait until they fix the problem. : (

No comments:

Post a Comment