Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Best Kind of Day

Today was awesome. It was the kind of day that I strive for everyday. It was calm and productive. I was present and thoughtful both to myself and to my kids.

I decided recently that I would like to make my kids a homemade snack everyday when they come home from school. I want them to feel welcomed home after a long day at school, and thought that it would be nice  for them if I took the time to make them something from scratch.  Today, I decided to make them hot chocolate and sugar cookie dough, so that they could cut out their own shapes when they got home. I made 4 separate dough balls for each of them and rolled them all out, so that when they got home they could pull their individual dough out of the refrigerator and have it ready to go.

My idea worked like a charm. It was really fun to watch them each create their own cookies and choose their own cookie cutters. Josh decided to make a hand print cookie which I thought was an amazing idea. I liked it so much that I had the other 3 kids lay their hands flat in their dough so that I could trace their hand prints too. Everyone decorated their cookies with sprinkles or frosting that I had made.

 These are the kind of moments that make mothering so freaking awesome. To do something creative and out of the box with my kids. To BE with them both physically, but more important mentally. This is what I want to feel like everyday of my life. This is what I strive for. To be connected to them. To be mentally available to them.

Days like these give me hope that all of my struggles lately are not for naught. That there is a purpose in my strive to be a better mother and wife and person, and that that struggle has not nor is not in vain.

This is what pure contentment and happiness looks like to me:



Everyone getting ready to begin.

Rolling out dough
Having some yummy hot chocolate while they worked.
Choosing which cookies cutters to use.


A smiley face Andy made out of thumb prints.

Sarah's hand print cookie

Andy's hand print cookie.

Joshua's hand print cookie.

Elizabeth's hand print cookie.

The girls finishing up the last of the dough.

Final product

No comments:

Post a Comment