Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Whoring Ourselves Out

THAT got your attention now didn't it? Let me explain...

I was talking to a dear, dear friend today. The kind of friend that you know you can pick up the phone and talk to her for just a couple of minutes or hours on end after not having talked to her for weeks or months, and it seems just like you spoke with each other an hour ago. The kind of friend that just gets you - all of you - even the parts of yourself that  you don't quite get yet. She is the kind of friend that will see you through the pits of hell, not by pulling you through, but by walking side by side with you allowing you to work through your own struggles and demons and troubles all the while offering the support you so desperately need. She is the friend that shares in your joys as they were her own. She is the rare gem that you only find but a handful of times in your life, and you treasure her friendship with all your heart.  She is THAT kind of friend to me.

I was on the phone with this friend today explaining that I am not sure what our future looks like, and how frustrated that I am because I just want to know. I want all of our hard work to pay off. All of the education, work experience etc...to pay off somehow. She mentioned to me that maybe I needed to stop reaching for further success for my family, and to just allow it to come to me (still work hard, but not grasp at straws). So, instead of taking a new job opportunity for the sake of taking it to actually look to see if it will really benefit our family. I took her words to heart and realized that we are so anxious to get to that next level of "success" that we would essentially whore ourselves out and consider going somewhere that is maybe, too far from our extended family or in a part of the country we are not particularly interested in living at just to get one more rung higher on the ladder of success. We need to quit doing that. Like NOW.

The right opportunity WILL come along. I know it. BUT it has to suit our immediate family, and not sacrifice any of what we are trying to teach our children. After all, family first. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment