Monday, August 12, 2013

Catching Up...

There is quite a lot going on here as usual, but some of the things happening are kind of a big deal to our family. We have (finally) decided to put our house on the market. We have been living in approximately 1100 square feet for the past 10 years, and we are busting out at the seems. We have been sharing 1 bathroom for that whole time period as well and we are all tired of trying to pee, and having someone knock on the door saying that they have to use the restroom, so hurry up.

I am quite nervous about moving. We looked at two houses this past weekend that were about 40 minutes away from here, and fell in love with one of the homes. It has been on the market for a bit, so we are hoping that we can get our home on the market within the next 2-3 weeks, sell our home, and then make a bid on the home we saw. If that home has already sold by the time we are able to put a bid on it then we will just look for another home. There is definitely something that I loved about that house - 5 bedrooms (all on the same floor), 2.5 baths, basement, living room, dining room, family room, fire place, front porch, fenced in backyard, etc... - but I am also a big believer that a house does not make a home. If we found this home I am confident that we can find another one that we will love just as much, but man, oh, man that house is really calling to me. If it is meant to be it will be, right?

All of the kids seem to be on board with us moving. I am worried about moving the boys, especially Josh, because he has a couple of buddies that he (and I) really, really like. I love their families, and have known them both for the last 6 years or so. It will break my heart a bit if we find a home outside of our community, and Josh (and Andy now as he has the same soccer coach as Josh) will have to find a new soccer team to play on. One favorite things in this whole world is Josh's soccer team. The kids on that team have played together for a really, really long time, and I really enjoy watching them on the field all together. It will make my heart sad if he doesn't play on that team anymore, and it will make my heart really sad if we have to pull him from the team in the middle of this season. That being said, I do feel that times are changing. I began to feel that way last spring and maybe even last fall. The boys are all getting older now, and they are getting more involved in different sports. Some of the boys will choose to focus on their other sports as time goes on and will end up quitting the soccer team to do so. The boys are also developing other interests outside of soccer that is pulling them away from one another. They are all good boys, but as they age some of their friendships with each other are solidifying and some of them are going by the wayside. Theses changes are to be expected after all, but I still find myself begging with Father Time to allow me just another season of the way it used to be.

The new carpeting should be installed in about 3 weeks, and the new roof will be on the house in about the same time as well. On the advice of our agent, we are going to clear out our home of almost all of our belongings. We will be keeping our school books here, some clothes, and sleeping bags. No TV, no beds, no toys (each of the kids will be able to keep their favorite toy with them), nothing.  We will be moving all of our furniture out to either a storage facility or a friends home who lives down the road. We will be camping in our own home which we plan on turning into an adventure. Hopefully, our home won't be on the market for too long because I definitely think that our camping fun will wear off after the first month or two. Once again, what is meant to be will be. Only time will tell.

*********************************************************************************

On the home schooling front, I am leaning towards bringing the girls home too. I still haven't made a final decision although with school starting two weeks from today I better decide something pronto, but I want to talk to them one more time about it. I've thought A LOT about bringing them home, and the pro's and con's of doing both. One thing that I did decide is that Sarah (and Elizabeth) should get a say in whether or not I keep them home, but they should have more of a say once they have tried both school settings. If I had home schooled Sarah in the past, and she really did not like it then I would be more inclined to send her to our local public school. Another thing that I thought about was the fact that because I am an adult I have gained the ability (or disability depending on how you look at it) of not living in the moment as much as child, and to be able to see beyond the immediate future. Sarah, as a young child, has not gained the ability to see beyond the first few weeks of school when the newness of it has worn off, and she no longer wants to go. I know my child well enough to know that this is how it will play out, and she has even told me that she only wants to go back go back to school to eat lunch, go to recess, and buy new school supplies. Socializing her is very important to me, more so than the other kids because of the fact that she has MS, and I don't want her to have to deal with depression that is so prevalent in pediatric MS patients. BUT she is involved in Girl Scouts, soccer, and now dance, so I KNOW that she will be "social" in the way that she needs to be, plus her best friend lives right down the road (for now anyway), and we will be involved in home school groups where she will get to meet and be with other kids during the week.

*********************************************************************************

 I do believe that Sarah is in remission (knock on wood). While her left eye is still not 100% the blurriness is down to just 2 spots in that eye which is the best it has been since May 18th. Her right eye, she says, is very good. There have been no new episodes since she last came off of her steroids, so I think that the steroid/IVIG combination did the trick. It makes my heart happy that she gets a break (hopefully a long one) from the affects of this disease. I would definitely say that she is a different person now after having gone through all that she has. The sparkle in her eye is hard to find, and seems to be replaced by the worry of an older soul. I hope that as time goes on and she remains symptom free she will regain some of her childlike sparkle. Once again, as the theme of life goes, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment