Friday, August 16, 2013

On the Eve of Elizabeth's Birthday

Dear Elizabeth,

Tomorrow you will be 7 years old, and I cannot believe that my baby is 7. You were born at 8:21 am, and I remember lying awake the night before your birth wondering what your delivery would be like. You moved and squirmed around so much that night I should have known that was a warning that you would be my mover and shaker, but alas ignorance is bliss sometimes.

You definitely keep me on my toes. You have caused me to have more gray hair in my 7 years of mothering you than I care to admit, and have been the subject of more "A Day in the Life As Elizabeth's Mother" stories than I ever thought was possible. But I also know that your headstrong ways will serve you well as an adult. I won't ever have to worry about you following the crowd, and I know that you will do exactly what you please no matter what anyone else says. These parts of you will serve you well as a teenager, and then later into adulthood. For now, we will walk the fine line of you doing exactly what you want while just pushing me to the point of insanity, and then stepping back to keep me from really going over the edge.

You are so smart and beautiful and kind it takes my breath away. You have grown taller and no longer look like a little girl, but rather like a young lady. I was watching you the other day without you knowing, and your beauty caught me off guard. It has been a while - too long actually - since I last took the time to watch you from afar and to witness you not as my daughter, but as the person you are in your own right. It was nice to see you as you are, and I watched as you played in the sandbox with such contentment and joy on your face. You were lost in your own world as you so often are, and I wondered what was going on in that busy mind of yours.

 I love that you love playing with matchbox cars, barbies, and babies. I love that you are passionate, loyal, and hardworking. I love that you are tough as nails, and could easily take down most kids your age, and probably your sisters age as well.

I hope that this year is a good year for you. I hope that you have fun and learn a lot - not in the academic sense (although with me being your teacher I do hope that you learn a lot academically), but in every part of living. I hope that you maintain your spunk because even though it keeps me on my toes it is the best part of you.

I love being your mama. I love you more than you know, and I am sorry if I am not always good at showing it. I will work on that this year. Happy Birthday my sweet girl.

Love always and forever,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment