Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Promises Made

When I was a teenager I promised myself that when I had children I would allow them to grow up with the kids that they started kindergarten with. I promised myself that I would not ever move them outside of the city that they began their lives in in order to give them strong ties and roots to the kids that they formed friendships with. This was important to me because I moved around several times during my schooling years the last time being right before the start of 7th grade. It was hard for me to adjust to new schools and new people, and I vowed that I would not put my children through the same thing. I did not want them to ever know the discomfort of having to start over, and now here I sit possibly about to embark with them on the journey to a new community that I promised myself I would never ask them to make.

I lie awake last night in my bed thinking about those promises that I made to my yet unborn children all those years ago, and I wonder if I I am crazy person for even thinking of moving outside of this community. And then my ever practical husband will point out something obvious, such as the fact that I am home schooling my 4 kids this year, so how are they going to go to school and grow with their peers from kindergarten through high school if my kids aren't even in the school system? Point made.

Josh has grown particularly close with two of his soccer buddies this summer. One of them has been his best friend for as long as I can remember, and the other has always been a good friend, but now seems to have become his second wing man. I cannot imagine not seeing those boys around my neighborhood. Andy seems to have taken to both boys as well, and they graciously have allowed Andy to join their pod which I appreciate immensely even if he is only a periphery group member.  I love their families dearly, and think that they are the kind of families that you could very easily spend years building memories with if we could somehow manage to make this small house work.

It's definitely a bitter sweet moment. I packed our first boxes last night, and it felt both good and weird. The carpet company is coming today to measure our carpeted rooms, and schedule installation of the new carpeting. Things are moving along as they always do in life. I am just not sure I can stomach the potential changes right now.

P.S. The house that we fell in love with, and would like to put a bid on if it is still for sale when we sell this house is: 856 Dogwood Trail, Medina

No comments:

Post a Comment