Sunday, August 25, 2013

Endings & Beginnings

Tomorrow is the first day of school for my kids and also for those who go to the local public school which means that summer (in kid terms) is officially over. Tonight is our first school night, and I am super excited.

Fall has always been my New Year. The back to school feel has always seemed like the fresh start that January 1st is supposed to bring to my heart, but never seems to. Fall is my favorite season. I love the changing of the leaves, the cool nights, the sunny breezy days, the new school supplies, the return of the NFL season. I love new beginnings, or should I say - I love the opportunity of new beginnings, and the back to school feeling definitely gives me the feeling of starting anew.

I am so happy that I have my kids home with me, and I am very much looking forward to their first day of school tomorrow. I cherish the certainty of being able to slow down the pace of our lives. My heart is full and optimistic of all things to come, and I hope that this year is even better than I can even imagine it to be.

As with all things, the beginning of something new (the school year) brings the end of something old (the summer). It was quite a summer to be sure. It started with Sarah in the hospital not once, but twice. It slowly got a bit better as the weeks passed, and we all began to breathe a bit easier as she began to show signs of going into remission. It was filled with trips here and there, and fun memories with good friends. It ended with us packing up our home to put on the market in the next couple of weeks.

On the house note - the roofers are coming on Tuesday to put in a new roof, and the carpet company should be installing our carpeting either the end of this week or sometime the following week. Bob hopes to have the house on the market by September 5th. Except for a few personal items each room in the house is packed up. We have left some of the living furniture in that room, but other than that most of the furniture has been packed up too. All of the bedrooms are packed up as is the office. The only real thing left out is our schooling things. I am amazed at how well we are functioning on so little. Makes me realize how almost all of the items in our home that I feel are essential - really aren't. It is kind of freeing, and makes me wonder how much of this stuff we actually need in our new home.

I look forward to new routines that Fall inevitably brings, and I hope that this upcoming year is everything that we all could wish for and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment