Monday, October 14, 2013

Making My Home My Own Again

Our house has been on the market for almost 4 weeks now, and not a single bite. We have had an open house and several showings, but nothing to speak of in terms of any offers. Bob read in a news article that the market is slowly shifting towards being a buyers market again. (I didn't really ever think it wasn't a buyer's market especially in this area.) So, all of the hopes and dreams I had of selling our house quickly are now being replaced with making the best of the space I have in my home to accommodate my family warmly and comfortably. As the weather turns cooler a little bit more each day I find myself getting ready to hunker down into this home for another winter. I am continually being reminded that what is meant to be will be, and am trying to make the best of our situation.

We will be going back to the place we have our belongings stored, and will be taking out those things that we will need to get us through the winter, plus a couple of items that I need in here to remind me that our home, even though on the market, is still our home. Some picture frames and a few decorations will be making their way back into the cozy space that the six us of (plus Lily the dog) occupy day in and day out. I am very much still on my journey towards simplicity and wonder if maybe there aren't some lessons that I  need to learn yet before my home will find a new family to love it and cherish it. Lessons that I need to master that will help remind me when we go to purchase our next home that I don't want to be making a monster mortgage payment, but rather I want to be making memories with my family, and this means buying a smaller, cheaper home than the materialistic side of me would want.

It certainly was nice for a short time to have our home look like no one lived here. Bare walls, minimal furniture, minimal toys and books, but now it is time to make this house our home again. Time to put up Halloween decorations, and not worry about what potential buyers might think. Our house will sell when it is supposed to sell, and if it doesn't sell by the spring then we will reevaluate the plan and try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment