Friday, October 4, 2013

Simple Food - A Look Back and A Look Ahead

This past two weeks has been really amazing in terms of food in our house. I have found out that my kids actually do like eating healthy (contrary to their protests prior to my simple foods endeavor). I have also found that it take a lot of planning and organizing to be able to make most of the stuff that I have planned for our family. Having our house on the market, and being contacted the day of a showing by a Realtor to see if we would allow their clients into our home has put a damper on my simple foods journey. Three times in the past two weeks we have been called in the morning asking to leave our home at dinner time, so that potential buyers can have an hour to view our home. When you have home made pasta sauce on the menu it doesn't really jive with showings. Because of the importance of my simple food quest (and to save my sanity as it is extremely hard to get our house in spotless "showing" condition in just a couple of hours while homeschooling the kids) we have decided that we will no longer honor same day showing requests. If someone really wants to see our home they will be happy to schedule a showing for the following day which will allow me to change up my menu or prepare food the night before. We ended up eating out (pizza and fast food - yuck!) several times in the last two weeks which not only cost a lot of money, but doesn't sit well with me in what I am trying to accomplish. I know that my Realtor is not going to be happy with this decision, but you know what - if someone really wants to buy my house they will buy it. My sanity is more important than a showing.

So, these next two weeks my goal is absolutely no takeout, no pizza, nothing from a restaurant. This is what we will be eating:

Friday: Chicken Tacos (with homemade taco shells)
Saturday: Penne Pasta with Sauce*, Salad, Cauliflower, French Bread*
Sunday: Chili*, Salad, Lentil Soup*, French Bread*
Monday: Pizza*
Tuesday: Chicken Kabobs, Mashed Potatoes*, Corn, Salad
Wednesday: Lasagna* (regular & vegan), Salad, French Bread*
Thursday: Bean Soup*, Leftovers, Salad
Friday: ----------- (The kids are staying with my in-laws as Bob and I will be in Pittsburgh for the Pearl Jam show.)
Saturday: Chicken Pot Pie*, Mashed Potatoes*, Salad
Sunday: Chili*, Lentil Soup*, Salad, French Bread*
Monday: Spaghetti with Sauce*, Green Beans, Salad, French Bread*
Tuesday: Pizza*, Salad
Wednesday: Chicken Tacos* (Homemade shells)
Thursday: Colorful Rotini with Sauce*, Salad, French Bread*, Broccli


Snacks:

Fruit/Yogurt Popsicles*
Lemonade Popsicles*
Rice Crispie Treats*
Pretzels*
Pretzel Rods
Walnuts/Almonds
Fruit (Apples, Bananas, Oranges)
Veggies (Carrots, Radishes, Celery)
Chips/Salsa* (and also store bought salsa)
Popcorn (air popped) w/ olive oil drizzled on top

Breakfasts:

Bagels/Eggs
Cereal
French Toast*
Pancakes*
Muffins*
Waffles*
Yogurt Smoothie*

*Everything with an asterisk is being made from scratch.

So, as you can see I have my hands full. But, I can say that by making a lot of this stuff I am able to afford more organic items than ever. Almost everything in my home is now organic which I know to some may seem ridiculous, but if doing this will help Sarah to stay healthy and prevent my other children from getting sick then I will do it. I will do anything for Andy, Josh, Sarah, and Elizabeth. Feeding them a healthier diet is something that is within my control, and only takes time. If by my example they see how much I love them because of the time and care I am putting into preparing their meals all the better. One things I can guarantee is that  I am giving myself peace of mind - at least when it comes to their diet. Simple food, Simple house, Simple mind...I like the sound of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment