Sunday, October 20, 2013

Watching Him Grow

I have always viewed parenting as an honor. It is not a right that I have, but rather a gift that I have been given. I try to remember this in my most grueling moments of being a mom when I want to throw in the towel because let's face it - those moments happen. I have also always been grateful for where my kids are at in their stage of life. I have never been one to wish that my kids were young again because parenting them at 'x' age was so much easier (although I sometimes wish for a do over so that I could change some of my choices when I was a young mom). I enjoy my kids where they are at because each stage always has its ups and downs - no stage is any easier - they are all just different. I am honored to be able to witness their journey towards becoming adults.  It is truly a privilege.

Last night, my oldest, Andy, went to his first co-ed party. It was a birthday party for a friend who he has known for a long time. The birthday girl is a wonderful person whom I am so grateful that Andy has as a friend. She is just lovely with a good head on her shoulders. She is very sweet and seems to not follow the 'in' crowd, but does her own thing. She is someone that I have always been glad Andy has hung around with.

So, it was with a happy heart that I let Andy go to this birthday party. Going to your first co-ed party is a right of passage, and is part of the teenage experience. It is the first of many firsts to come, and I am so happy for Andy. He is such an amazing kid, and my heart is filled with pride for him. It was so neat to watch him get ready, and to make sure he was looking super sharp while trying to maintain an air of, "I am not really trying to care what I look like" casualness. As he left I gave him a huge hug and cried. I was just overcome with such excitement for him that I could not help but letting the tears well up in my eyes. He was so excited to go, and upon returning home had several tales of all of the fun he had. He was so thankful to have gone, and you could just see the joy radiating from his body.

 Andy is growing and every day he is one step closer towards becoming closer to being a man.I look forward to seeing what his life has in store for him as he crosses off more 'firsts'. I hope that he always carries the excitement that he had last night with him in his heart. It was pretty neat to see that kind of joy in him because so often as adults we lose that unbound feeling in all of the mundane tasks that are required of us in this adult world. I am so humbled and honored get to be able to walk side by side with him through part of his journey. I am amazed by the fact that the universe chose me to be his mom. Andy is such a wonderful kid. A joy to be around. I am without a doubt one lucky mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment