Friday, May 30, 2014

Food Friday

I need to think of a catchier phrase than 'food friday', but for now that title will just have to do.

I am more determined than ever to cut our food budget. I took over the finances from Bob after realizing that I am in charge of so much of our budget that it just makes sense for me to take over the whole shabang. Because I can now clearly see what is coming in and what needs to go out I am motivated to do better in the areas that are flexible.

So, this means that I am back to menu planning and penny pinching to see just how low I can get my weekly food expenses down to. It means no more glorious weeks of an almost $440 (a week!!!) food budget. Time to get down to business and do it the only way I know how - balls to the wall. I have set a two week food budget for myself of just $500. This means I am pretty much going to challenge myself to cutting my food budget in half.

Goodbye are the days of eating take out when planning for meals didn't suit me - especially on nights when all 4 kids have something going on. Goodbye are the excuses that tomorrow I will plan a menu or tomorrow I will cut our food expenses down to a reasonable amount. Tomorrow just became today, my friends. Back to making breakfasts from scratch instead of eating cereal, bagels, or english muffins. Back to making sandwich bread instead of buying store bought. Back to taking a good portion of my afternoon to prepare dinner.

Just thinking about saving money (and putting the extra savings towards a super vacation) are quite motivating for me.

My rules are (which as you all know me by now are bound to change):

1.) If I can reasonably make it from scratch - do it.
2.) If I can afford it organic - buy it.
3.) Plan meals.
4.) Grocery shop only once a week. (Right now I go several times a week to get only what I need for a couple of days.)

I will keep track of my spending this week and my menu and report it back to you next week. Hopefully, it will be a successful week....Wish me luck. I certainly need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment