Friday, July 9, 2021

A-L-O-N-E (for 6 whole days)

 My family pulled out of our driveway about 15 minutes ago. They are headed back to Ohio because Sarah has an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic on Tuesday to meet with a new doctor who is an expert in the disease that she has (MOG). Since Bobby and Sarah were already going to be up there they decided to extend their trip a bit and visit with family. Andy and Elizabeth went along as well. (Josh has been in Ohio since his birthday in May staying with friends and family.) I stayed home mainly because we do not feel comfortable kenneling Max just yet, and also because we also have a cat and 2 guinea pigs to take care of. I don't feel comfortable having a stranger in my home and hiring someone from an app or pet sitting website. I know of people who do it and have had absolutely no problems - it just isn't something that I (nor Bobby) am comfortable with at this time. While it is nice to see family, it is also an equal treat for me to have my family head out of town for a few days while I get to stay home alone. 



These times (which usually happen once or twice a year) are so cherished. Not having to take care of my family in any way - to only have to think about myself - is chicken soup for my soul. It's not that I don't miss my family when they are gone - because I do, but I just need this time to sharpen the saw. Time alone helps me to become the best version of myself. It refocuses me and helps me to feel refreshed. 



I sometimes feel pressure and guilt for needing this time alone, especially because I am a stay at home mom, and aren't we supposed to just love being with our families 24/7 without a break? Mostly though I just shrug those thoughts off because I know how valuable this time is to me, and how much it benefits our entire family. (And also because those types of thoughts are completely ridiculous.)



I have been thinking for weeks about how I would use this time. This time is so precious and valuable that I like to have some idea of how I am going to use it before the time actually comes. I feel about this time the way some feel about Christmas morning. 

Saying good-bye to her creatures.


This time around I have decided to not use electronics. No Instagram, checking email, no internet, no TV...just blogging (when I feel like it), music, texts and phone calls (which I don't get often). I have turned off the air conditioning (I may end up turning it back on, but wanted to try to get along without it), so that I can hear the sounds of summer in my wooded backyard. We have 4 fans that I will move around the house during the day as I need to. I don't know why turning off the a/c is something that I want to do, especially because the temps are supposed to hit 90+ degrees almost every day and the lows in the evening are not supposed to go below 70. Maybe it is because I feel like a/c puts me out of touch with the outside world and what is happening? Maybe I want to be conscious of how I am feeling? I don't know what the reason is right now, I just know that having the windows open is something that I wanted to (try) to do while everyone was gone. 



I do have a list of chores and yard work that I would like to accomplish while my family is up north. I also have planned to get some office work accomplished (getting a list together of school supplies needed for the upcoming school year, etc...), but other than that I plan to read books and spend my afternoons at the pool. I plan on journaling a lot and writing to my grandpa each morning. I plan on walking the dog in the evenings and sitting on our front porch as the sun's last rays hit the tops of the trees each day. I am planning on doing anything and everything I feel like and nothing that I do not feel like doing. 

She was less than thrilled that I wanted to take her picture
 so early in the morning (for her anyway). 


 I plan on having a relaxing, non-distracting 6 days, so that when my family returns I am able to give them the best mom/wife I know how to be. I am so excited about this time alone. 

My sweet boy with the long, long hair...who is so excited about visiting with family.


4 comments:

  1. Totally enjoyed reading this, you are an amazing mom and wife, I miss your enthusiasm for life! Bless you🙏💕

    ReplyDelete