Monday, July 12, 2021

A Woman of Leisure: Day 4

As usual, my companion was by my side this morning protecting me from all the creatures in nature. 




A weekday morning letter writing ritual to a special person in my life.

New books to read. 

My favorite view to begin my days. 


My forever protector. Keeping stray bugs, squirrels, and birds at bay. 



 The weather is calling for 100% chance of thunderstorms for the next two hours. I knew there was no way in h-e-double hockey sticks that I was going to try and sleep one because I am alone in my house and two because I don't like storms at night. So, here I am updating this space to pass the time. 

Today was another good day. I spent my morning and afternoon out on the back deck reading and writing. The day seemed much less humid than yesterday, so it was nice to be out back in the shade of the trees even though the temps hit the low 90's. 

I played solitaire and a few rounds of scrabble (I am known for playing scrabble against myself with or without people in my house to play with- in fact I usually prefer to play alone) late this afternoon. 

A storm blew up out of nowhere on the radar and I caught it in time to take the dog for a walk before it really hit. Max and I got rained on a bit, but it felt nice. We never got the storm that was predicted. Someone in the Charlotte area did though because I could hear thunder after thunder rumbling in the near distance. We got a couple of flashes of lightning followed by a loud thunder clap or two, but nothing like was being predicted. I am beginning to wonder if these thunderstorms out of nowhere are a staple of Southern summers. I suppose time will tell. 

It may be hard to tell, but it was pouring in this picture. 

I finished another book today. I started it this morning. Like the book from yesterday I could only put it down once my eyes started getting too tired to continue on. I would take a break and then pick it up again when I thought my eyes could handle it. 

I passed my time easily today. I found myself missing my family more and more as the day went on. I am glad I saved most of my 'to do' list for tomorrow and Wednesday. I think it will help me to pass the time and occupy my mind. Missing loved ones is really hard, but it makes me feel grateful that I have people to miss. 

My other protector. It is a joke in our house how closely Max follows me everywhere I go. I cannot leave a room without him coming too. 

I've made good again on my minimal electronics today. No Instagram, no tv, just this blog and posting it to Facebook along with some texts to my family. I also used my phone for Spotify, checking the validity of a couple of scrabble words, and requesting some more books from the library. (Oh, and checking the weather.) I found myself craving the tv a lot less today, but I did find myself more drawn to wanting to check Instagram. (I was able to hold off.) Electronics are a curious thing. Their pull is a bit scary if I think about it for too long. 

Hopefully, I will be able to sleep a bit better tonight. The cumulative restless nights of sleep are adding up and I can feel their weight beginning to weigh on me. Even if I don't sleep well again, I only have tonight and tomorrow until Bobby comes back home. If I've made it this long on bad sleeps, I can surely made it a little bit longer. 

That's all for today. 

Protecting loved ones is tiring work.

No comments:

Post a Comment