Tuesday, July 13, 2021

A Woman of Leisure: Day 5

 I spent most of the day cleaning up the house. I washed baseboards, dusted, straightened up, scrubbed floors, did laundry, organized closets - basically got my house spic and span so that my family can come home tomorrow to a spotless house and good food for dinner. 

I have no pictures from today, nor did I write in my journal. I read maybe 5 pages in my book. I did manage to squeeze in a game of solitaire and a game of scrabble while on a cleaning break. Other than that from the time I woke up at around 9:15 am until now I have been scrubbing down my house. It looks pretty and I am proud of my hard work. 

Tomorrow I will put the sheets I dried outside today on my girls' beds so they can climb into freshly laundered bedding tomorrow night. I will wash my sheets tomorrow morning so Bobby and I can also climb into clean air/sun dried sheets. 

I may order some groceries tonight as my cupboards are pretty bone dry. I ended up eating what was in them the last 5 days and have just about cleared out all of those odds and ends that make up a kitchen pantry and refrigerator. Otherwise, I will order my groceries in the morning. 

I had no time to even think about being on electronics, so the temptation to watch tv was nonexistent. I did end up listening to two audiobooks while I cleaned: Charlotte's Web (which I finished) and Ben Hur (which I am still listening to). I also listened to 3 of Glennon Doyle's podcasts - one of which made me bawl my eyes out. (It's the one talking about the church and being gay - if you are curious to know.) 

Today was a very productive day. When I first started cleaning this morning I thought there was no way I was going to get through my 'to do' list and I regretted relaxing for so many of my days alone, but now that I have finished my tasks I am grateful that I relaxed for the time I did. 

Tomorrow I will finish folding some laundry and will spend the rest of my free time relaxing. I will enjoy these last moments alone while waiting for part of my family to come home. (My boys are in Ohio for an extended visit.) 

This time has been so, so good for me in so many ways. I will cherish these days and look back on them fondly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment