Saturday, March 5, 2022

Homeschooling 2021 - 2022: Week 18/36

 We are officially half way through our school year! Because school began at the end of July/beginning of August in Indiana, sometimes I will look at the calendar and freak out about how much longer we have left to go, but then I remember that we didn't begin our school year until the Northeast part of the country starts their school year which is always the first Tuesday after Labor Day, and I breath deeply and sigh because we are doing just fine. 

I will be tallying up grades tomorrow, but I am pretty sure Elizabeth ended up with all A's (maybe one B) and Sarah got all A's and one B (in advanced biology which in a public school setting would be a weighted class, but I am not sure you can do that as a homeschooler, so I will just be counting it as a regular class). 

Sarah just took a biology test last week in which she was required to show me where all of the 28 major bones in her body are located, plus label all 13 major bones in the skull, plus name all 12 major parts of our skin, on top of the usual definitions and chapter questions that each test normally requires. She had spent days studying and did and awesome job. Her ability to learn despite her blindness and some cognitive issues never ceases to amaze me. 

Elizabeth also has done an amazing job this semester. Learning is very hard for Elizabeth, much like it was difficult for Andy. I feel certain that if Elizabeth was in public school she would be on an IEP for some type of learning disability, just like Andy was for the few brief years he spent in public school. Because of this I work more slowly with her than I would with Josh or Sarah because grasping content is a big struggle for her. She has really done such a good job (overall) with trying to keep a good attitude about learning and just plowing through until things make sense. 

I am proud of both of my girls for this semester's work. I look forward to seeing where this next semester takes us. 


Elizabeth sitting in the corner chair in the family room working on spelling

Picture of my Little House book sitting on the coffee table

Picture of Elizabeth flipping through her completed spelling book
All finished! Her first semester's spelling book is complete!

Picture of our week 18 lesson plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment