Friday, May 10, 2013

Tubal Reversal Surgery

I had my last consultation today before my surgery next Friday. Yep, you just read that last sentence correctly!!! After almost 2 years I finally have a surgery date (05/17/13), and once again, the best husband ever.

I met with a general nurse and an anesthesiologist nurse this morning at the hospital where the surgery will be performed. I answered some health questions for them, had a quick physical, and went over what to expect for my surgery 1 week from today. I was nervous last night and this morning about my appointment today, but once I got there I felt at peace.

The plan is as follows: Thursday evening I will have my least meal no later than 5 pm. By 7 pm I am supposed to take a laxative to ensure that my bowels are as clear as possible. I am not too excited about pooping my brains out all night, but I guess this is par for the course at this point. Nothing to eat or drink either.  At 11:00 am I am to meet at my doctor's office to go over some last minute items with him and then I am to check into the hospital (which is just a stone's throw away from the doctor I have been seeing) at 1 pm. My surgery is scheduled for 3 pm, and should take approximately 2 hours. I will be placed under general anesthesia (which I am a bit nervous about, but only because it is unknown). Once the surgery is over I will be  in recovery for 1-2 hours and will then be moved over to my room where I will be spending the night  just to ensure that everything has gone smoothly. I should be released the next day to go home.

For the procedure itself, my doctor is going to make a small incision over my c-section incision and will insert a camera to make sure that I have enough tube length to connect the two pieces back together on each side.(At 2 of my appointments with him he let me know that he couldn't guarantee he would be able to do this, but that he could give me a 99%+ chance that he would be able to connect the tubes back together. Once he has verified that there is indeed enough length to do so, he will make a larger incision, again over my c-section scar, and proceed with tying my tubes back together.

I am nervous of the unknown, but I feel VERY comfortable in my doctors hands, and also very comfortable with the staff I have met over at the hospital.

I wasn't sure what to tell the kids about this whole thing. I obviously need to tell them something because I will be gone over night, and because I will be sore for a couple of days afterwards. Bob and I have decided to just tell them the truth (DUH!) about what we are doing. I am nervous about Elizabeth blabbing  to everyone she knows - especially relatives whom we are not certain that we want to know anything about this procedure quite yet. Bob and I decided that just because people may not agree with what we are doing we still feel that we need to be respectful and let them know of our plans. We are going to wait until Thursday night/ Friday morning to tell them because I don't want them worrying all week about it.

I am so excited about this procedure. I have waited a long time and fought very hard to have this surgery. I am so lucky, and so extremely thankful.

3 comments:

  1. It's an inspiring story. I think a woman has some courage like you can easily handle every difficult situation in her life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, It's good to see another success story of tubal reversal surgery. I think these stories are very important to get inspiration women who are looking for tubal reversal procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only few people choose tubal reversal procedure to restore their fertility after getting tubal ligation surgery. I am very impressed to know the success of tubal reversal procedure.

    ReplyDelete